So to answer your burning question of, "What in the world has Kelsey been up to these past couple of weeks?" I can respond to that with one simple word, WORKING! Thankfully for me my work is always mixed with a lot of play.
I've been very fortunate this month and have gotten to fly with really great crew members. During the past two trips I was able to fly with friends of mine that I went through initial training with. The first trip I flew with my friend Lia and we had overnights in Myrtle beach, South Carolina, San Juan, and Orlando. I love the Carolinas! My family used to vacation in Nags Head, North Carolina and that is when I first fell in love with that area. It just feels so beachy and quaint there! I literally feel like I'm living in a real life Nicolas Sparks book! My friend and I went out for a nice dinner there and the next morning I went for a run on the beach, one of my very favorite things to do!
We only had about 12 hours in San Juan, but I still made time to go lay out by the gorgeous pool at the resort where we were staying. The company I work for has contracts with different hotels in each city we layover, so we usually always stay at the same hotels. Because I obviously have a lil bit of a stalker, President Obama just so happened to be in San Juan at the exact same time I was. Coincidence, I think not! This was actually a pretty cool thing as this was the first time an acting president had visited Puerto Rico since President Kennedy in 1961. Several major roads (as well as the airport) were shut down for a couple hours while the president was in town. As a result of this, my crew and I were relocated to a hotel that was closer to the airport. The new hotel was actually a resort, and I loved it for the mere fact that we were greeted with complimentary coconut ice cream upon our arrival. All of the locals were elated that Obama was in town, and nearly all of them were wearing some form of Obama memorabilia.
After asking my cab driver his thoughts on Obama's visit he informed me that he wasn't sure why the president had decided to visit the island, but Obama had his vote! In fact, he had all three of them as he held a drivers licence in Puerto Rico, Florida, and New York. Hmmmmm
The next night I stayed in Orlando. This layover could not have come at anymore of a perfect time for my friends Lita and Sari as their air conditioner had just bit the dust. Something about it being 90+ degrees outside didn't exactly make them excited about sleeping in their upstairs apartment. I always love seeing friends on layovers, so I was more than happy for them to bunk up with me for the night. We spent our exciting night watching CNN and eating Papa John's. What can I say, we know how to party!
I returned home just long enough to do a few loads of laundry, grocery shop, bike ride to the beach, hang out with some friends, pack my suitcase, and hit the runway again! My friend Dan is actually still on reserve and didn't even know he would be on the same trip with me until the day we were leaving. The first night of our trip we layed over in Washington DC. I love having lay overs in this city as there is a ton of stuff to see and do. As soon as we got into our hotel, we hopped on the subway and headed down the Pentagon Memorial. The memorial was really neat and reminded me a lot of the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. At the memorial there is a bench for each person who lost their life on 9/11 at the Pentagon site. It was set up in chronological order so that the oldest person's bench is the first one in the memorial and the youngest person to loose their life is the last. Growing up my family and I always visited national monuments, and I always appreciated them, but usually they were for things, like World War II or the Battle of Shiloh, that I obviously had no emotional ties to. It's just very bizarre seeing tributes to 9/11, as I remember that day very clearly. After viewing the memorial, we continued our touristy activities and visited the capitol as well as the White House. I'm pretty sure Obama was at the White House the same time I was. See what I mean about him following me?
We spent the next two night of our trip in Atlantic City, New Jersey. I had a severe moment of weakness and went shopping. I'll be regretting that in about three weeks when the ol Discover Card bill roles in. Atlantic City has a really cool boardwalk right by the beach that Dan and I went strolling on one evening. Apparently I had some good Karma coming my way because as I walked into one of the many fudge shops along the boardwalk the owner informed me they were closing for the evening and was wondering if I wanted to take all the leftover samples home...FO FREE! If Heaven tastes anything like Rocky Road Fudge, then shoot me now!
I had half heartedly mentioned to Lita on the last day of my trip that I was off for the next two days if she wanted to come visit. I was very surprised when she text me back and said she's be there in the morning. Apparently you don't have to twist this girl's arm to get her to spend two days on the beach. One of my favorite parts of living in South Florida, is that when I have the time to completely relax, it really does feel like a vacation. Lita, Sari, my roommate Stephanie, and I had a great three days eating, drinking, sleeping, and catching some rays!
Have you all heard OneRepublic's new song, Good Life? It pretty much sums things up for this girl! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZhQOvvV45w
Love and miss you all mucho grande!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment