Saturday, April 21, 2012

My First Japanese Layover

Yesterday morning I arrived safely back into Dubai after my first ever layover with Emirates. I really just want to see the whole world, so I don't have much of a preference as to where I start. So when I found out that I was headed to Osaka, Japan, I figured that was just as good of a place as any other to start!

Neither one of my parents have traveled overseas a great deal, but both of them have actually been to Japan. My mom traveled to the country, and stayed in a rural area just outside of Tokyo as a foreign exchange student when she was 16. My dad also visited Tokyo two years ago as part of an agricultural exchange program. When my mom was living in Japan she bought a kimono (the traditional Japanese dress), and would occasionally let us kids play dress up with it, and most recently let me where it for my international themed going away party in January. So, I thought it was very cool that my first layover allowed me to experience the country that both of my parents have links to.

Wearing my mom's kimono with my fellow theme night participants during my going away party.

After arriving into Osaka after the ten hour flight a small group of the crew and I ventured just outside of the hotel to a market area for dinner. The restaurant had no English speaking staff, nor menus written in English. Thank God for technology, as the very sweet waitress used the google translate app on her iPhone to assist us in ordering our food. I ended up with some delicious sushi, that tasted fairly dog meat free! I kid, I kid.

The following day another group of crew members and I traveled to a village about an hour called Kyoto. While we were there we went to a famous zen temple called the Golden Pavilion and hiked around that area.
After that we went into part of the village that is known to have lots of Geishas. I'm still not 100% sure on what the whole Geisha thing is about, but from what I understand they are highly trained entertainers. Anyways, we did see lots of women walking around the area with the traditional Japanese dress. They all seemed honored when I asked if they would take a photo with me, pretty cool.


Speaking of photos... Being in airports dressed in my Emirates uniform is a pretty cool experience in itself. People literally stop, stare, and, at times, take video recordings of us as we travel through the airport. It's like they've never seen 15 people walking through an airport with perfect hair, completely matching outfits from, literally, head to toe, carrying the exact same purse and luggage, with stop light red lips, who are all smiling and holding "polite and casual conversations." Three different older women approached me as I was waiting outside the boarding gate, and asked if they may take a picture with me. As I uncrossed my ankles and rose from my seat to honor their requests, I briefly thought, if only they knew that underneath that red hat and five pounds of aerosol hairspray is a girl who used to pride herself on her infrequent bathing routine, being able to eat a complete meal with her foot on the table, and perfecting the art of using a strand of her own hair to make her self sneeze, then they would most definitely not be interested in this once in a lifetime photo op. "Why certainly, mam," I responded in my most lady like voice I could conjure up, "I'd be delighted to!"

Who knew that after all those times my mother followed each of my loud, obnoxious belches with, "Kelsey Ellen, act like a lady," that one day I actually would!

Have a fabulous week everyone!
  

2 comments:

  1. Fun blog! I do often think of you when I battle with Lana trying to get her in the shower! Maybe there is hope for her yet! Love you bunches :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kels....you make me laugh. Too funny...thinking of you being lady like and having known your dark twin. :-)

    ReplyDelete