The best way to describe Germany is that it's quaint. The local food, the cobblestone streets lined with pubs, the kind and friendly people (minus the hormone enraged, slightly drunk 20 something lad I encountered last night who "casually" bumped into me and did a full blow ass grab. He was too friendly...), it's just simple here, and I love it!
I was luckily placed on this trip with a German captain who is very familiar with the Dusseldorf area. Last night he offered to take the crew out for dinner, drinks, and a short tour of the the city. Since guten tag is the extent of my German language, I jumped at the opportunity to see the city with a local. As our hotel is located quite a ways from any city center, we hopped on the metro, then the subway, and finally reached an area known as old town Dusseldorf. As we were climbing the stairs from the subway, we heard loud music pumping out of the nearby pubs, and upon reaching street level, it appeared that a huge street party festival was taking place. Much to my surprise the captain informed me that, nope, it was just a typical Wednesday night for these Germans!
Our group of six gathered in one of the outside seating areas, and the captain educated us on German beer drinking protocol. Basically, the servers come around with large trays filled with glasses of the local brew. If he sees your glass is empty, he'll replace it immediately and mark a tally on your coaster in order to keep track of your tab. When you've finished drinking, you simply place your coaster on top of your glass to notify the waiter that you are no longer drinking. Kinda nifty, eh?| Keeping Track of The Tab...German Style |
Disclaimer: This girl is not a beer drinker, but I am a trooper! I tried one gulp of the dark disgusting liquid, and politely informed the waiter that I'd be sticking to my white wine.
The food was delicious! I had a schnitzel (think fried pork chop), but our entire group shared the generous portions. By the end of the evening I had tried, schnitzel with fried egg on top, fish fillet, sausage and mashed potatoes in a mushroom sauce, and creamed sour kraut. Yum! After we finished our meal, we wondered down by the river front, which reminded me slightly of the lake front in Chicago (minus all the bums). Around 1:30 AM local time, our exhausted tour group called it a day, and headed back to our hotel.
I am always one for an adventure, even if its a solo quest, however I am a realist. I had most of today free, which would have been ideal for hoping on the train and exploring more of the city. However, I am aware that I have a slight history of getting lost. It's not my fault, it's genetic.
Many moons ago, on a trip out of state trip to visit my aunt, my mom and I decided go on a shot walk around my aunt's block. Four hours and many miles later, we ended up at some poor soul's house, hot and slightly dehydrated in middle of no where Virginia, begging to use some random family' phone, and asking if there was any way they could spare a cold glass of lemonade to us weary travelers. Due to lacking a sense of direction, combined with all German signage and a non negotiable evening departure time, I opted to stick close to the hotel today.
There is not a ton of things to see and do in the area near the hotel we stay in, so after my morning workout at the hotel gym and my Starbucks coffee, I grabbed an area map and headed out on my own. As it turned out, the area is residential and there is not much more to see or do, but I had a great two hour walk checking out German houses and exchanging well wishes with fellow walkers, bicyclists, and joggers. Alas, ending up in this park :)
| Yes, I did have a random passerby take this picture. It's cool though, we're cousins...probably. |
And now for a random fact: I've always known my last name "Schutz" was very German, but for most of my life, I wasn't sure what it actually meant. Several months ago I was swim suit shopping in London, and as I was pulling up my bikini bottoms, I saw a clear plastic liner that read first in English "Sanitary Protection." It then listed, what appeared to be the same verbiage in several other languages. I immediately noticed blah blah blah Schutz. It was a 50/50 shot on whether my proud, bold, and strong family name meant sanitary or protection. I went with protection, and as the German speaking captain confirmed, I was correct! Wheh, Kelsey Sanitary...just doesn't have the same ring to it. Here's ther real kicker, APPARENTLY my family has been mispronouncing our last name for years! Schtuz (shoots) is actually Schutz (shuts) due to the lack of double dots over the U. I feel like my entire life has been a lie! I'll truly understand if you no longer consider me to be a credible individual and quit following my adventures on this here blog...Shuts and Scores.
Til next time folks,
Kelsey (if that's even my real name ) Schutz, Schütz, Shuts????
So glad you are back posting your blog. Love and miss you. Next time you're home, lets grab a sandwich and you can fill me in.
ReplyDeleteC2
In some of the family history papers I have gone through we used to have the two dots over the u. Apparently a few generations back someone decided to Americanize it and drop the dots. Thought you'd like to know :) Love ya
ReplyDeleteMy family is German too, so I'm probably your cousin as well. (unless I have to be tall, in that case, no.) Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!
ReplyDeleteC2- I'll be home in October, and I'd love a sandwich date!
ReplyDeleteStacy-makes sense!
Leah-You've got the blond hair, I think that qualifies you, Cous!