I recently watched an Oprah episode (yes, I am a huge fan, don't judge me), where she interviewed Pastor Rick Warren, who was comparing life to a game of poker. Warren explained that we all have five cards in the game of life: chemistry, connections, circumstances, consciousness and choice.
“The cards we are dealt are the things we don't have control over. I didn't choose where I was born, when I was born, I didn't choose my gender, my parents, my race, my natural abilities, my natural weaknesses, but a wise player can even play what seems to be a weak hand, and win the game. There are ways to take what you are given and make the most out of it," said Warren
Warren goes on to explain that out of the five cards, the first four are non negotiable. The fifth card, choice, is the only card we have control over, and this single card can make it or break it in the game of life.
Last week marked my one year anniversary of living in Dubai. I remember my parents being so incredibly proud of me for making my big move last year, and embarking on yet another one of life's great adventures. Although they were scared about their baby moving so far away, they also shared with me in my excitement. My mom and I held many Skype conversations during the first few weeks following my move, the majority of those with her sitting uncomfortably on the second to bottom basement step, balancing the laptop on her knee, careful not to move an inch and risk loosing access to the one spot in the house that seemed to be able to hold a steady wireless connection. During our conversations, I always talked, and she always listened, as I rambled on about my new city, new friends, new apartment, and new job.
"I look forward to seeing it for myself," she'd always smile and reply. And she meant it, too.
My mom obviously never made it to Dubai. Turns out, that visit wasn't in her cards.
After my mom passed away, my family quickly adopted the attitude that she died, but we didn't, and that we have to keep going, we have to keep living. As the one year anniversary of my mom's death becomes closer, I'm amazed by how much I've learned from her passing. One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that just because our loved ones are gone physically, their presence is always with you. I've had so many crazy things happen this year, that I know without a doubt are my mom. So when my dad and I began to discuss a time for him to come visit me, and the week of my one year anniversary in Dubai, as well as the one year anniversary of the last time I ever saw my sweet Mama just so happened to be available for the both of us, I knew it was meant to be.
So last week, after nearly 24 hours of standby travel, I picked up my weary traveler of a dad from the airport, and transported him via limo back to my apartment where I had prepared the most lavish guest bedroom known to mankind. Ok, ok it was a city cab and an air mattress. Tomato, tomaaatooo!
Although this was technically my dad's vacation, I was on a bit of a mission to show him as much of Dubai as possible in a mere six days, and he was such a good sport! Throughout the week we attended Friday morning services at my church in Dubai, ate and drank at brunch with my friends, went on morning runs, saw the local horse races, floated down the Dubai creek on a Dhow dinner cruise, shopped at the Gold Souks, enjoyed a desert safari (complete with dune bashing and camel rides), toured a local mosque, watched the world's largest outdoor fountain show beside the world's tallest building, and, my personal highlight of the week, skied on the indoor sloops of Ski Dubai! I still stick to my claim that it wasn't until after I brought him up to the highest point, and watched him tumble down the slopes, quickly picking up speed like a giant snowball, that I realized he was being serious about the whole, "I've never skied before" thing. Oops!
My dad and I had an overall awesome week together, but it definitely wasn't without some bittersweet moments. I read a quote the other day on one of the grief blogs I follow (btw reading really sad stories in grief books, websites, etc. makes me feel about as inspired to move on with my life, as Pinterests' "motivational" pictures makes me feel like putting down my 3rd ice cream sandwich for the day...), that after the death of a loved one, it's almost like your family portrait is forever painted with a slightly different color. Perhaps that's a little fluffy, but I agree that no matter how great the good times are, a part of me will just ALWAYS miss my mom and wish that she were here.
Loosing my mom when I was 23 was something that I had no control over (wonk, wonk). Death is a part of those four cards in the game of life that we can't change. What I am happy to report though, is that despite the pure amount of suckage (is that a word? it should be!) it is that she died, my family continues to keep living, continues to still find joy, and continues to celebrate the good things in life, because there still are a million good things in life! I'm very grateful that my family has CHOSEN to have this attitude, and despite the setback of this past year, I think we've made the very best of being dealt a weak hand.
All in favor of the Schutz Family doing a rendition of Lady Gaga's song Poker Face say I!
I!!!!
“The cards we are dealt are the things we don't have control over. I didn't choose where I was born, when I was born, I didn't choose my gender, my parents, my race, my natural abilities, my natural weaknesses, but a wise player can even play what seems to be a weak hand, and win the game. There are ways to take what you are given and make the most out of it," said Warren
Warren goes on to explain that out of the five cards, the first four are non negotiable. The fifth card, choice, is the only card we have control over, and this single card can make it or break it in the game of life.
Last week marked my one year anniversary of living in Dubai. I remember my parents being so incredibly proud of me for making my big move last year, and embarking on yet another one of life's great adventures. Although they were scared about their baby moving so far away, they also shared with me in my excitement. My mom and I held many Skype conversations during the first few weeks following my move, the majority of those with her sitting uncomfortably on the second to bottom basement step, balancing the laptop on her knee, careful not to move an inch and risk loosing access to the one spot in the house that seemed to be able to hold a steady wireless connection. During our conversations, I always talked, and she always listened, as I rambled on about my new city, new friends, new apartment, and new job.
"I look forward to seeing it for myself," she'd always smile and reply. And she meant it, too.
My mom obviously never made it to Dubai. Turns out, that visit wasn't in her cards.
After my mom passed away, my family quickly adopted the attitude that she died, but we didn't, and that we have to keep going, we have to keep living. As the one year anniversary of my mom's death becomes closer, I'm amazed by how much I've learned from her passing. One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that just because our loved ones are gone physically, their presence is always with you. I've had so many crazy things happen this year, that I know without a doubt are my mom. So when my dad and I began to discuss a time for him to come visit me, and the week of my one year anniversary in Dubai, as well as the one year anniversary of the last time I ever saw my sweet Mama just so happened to be available for the both of us, I knew it was meant to be.
So last week, after nearly 24 hours of standby travel, I picked up my weary traveler of a dad from the airport, and transported him via limo back to my apartment where I had prepared the most lavish guest bedroom known to mankind. Ok, ok it was a city cab and an air mattress. Tomato, tomaaatooo!
Although this was technically my dad's vacation, I was on a bit of a mission to show him as much of Dubai as possible in a mere six days, and he was such a good sport! Throughout the week we attended Friday morning services at my church in Dubai, ate and drank at brunch with my friends, went on morning runs, saw the local horse races, floated down the Dubai creek on a Dhow dinner cruise, shopped at the Gold Souks, enjoyed a desert safari (complete with dune bashing and camel rides), toured a local mosque, watched the world's largest outdoor fountain show beside the world's tallest building, and, my personal highlight of the week, skied on the indoor sloops of Ski Dubai! I still stick to my claim that it wasn't until after I brought him up to the highest point, and watched him tumble down the slopes, quickly picking up speed like a giant snowball, that I realized he was being serious about the whole, "I've never skied before" thing. Oops!
| Ski Dubai |
| For the low down payment of only three camels, this man's daughter could be YOUR next wife! |
Loosing my mom when I was 23 was something that I had no control over (wonk, wonk). Death is a part of those four cards in the game of life that we can't change. What I am happy to report though, is that despite the pure amount of suckage (is that a word? it should be!) it is that she died, my family continues to keep living, continues to still find joy, and continues to celebrate the good things in life, because there still are a million good things in life! I'm very grateful that my family has CHOSEN to have this attitude, and despite the setback of this past year, I think we've made the very best of being dealt a weak hand.
All in favor of the Schutz Family doing a rendition of Lady Gaga's song Poker Face say I!
I!!!!
Love your newest blog entry! So glad you are choosing life and to live it to the fullest. Really looking forward to our skype visit. Miss & love you so much!
ReplyDeleteI!!!
ReplyDelete