Monday, April 1, 2013

I'm Engaged!!!

April Fools!

Hello and Welcome to the best day of the year! I started out my morning by sending my dad this photo, courtesy of Google Image....



accompanied by a sob story about how I had cut my leg open on the side of a metal cart during last night's flight. This is completely warranted, as several years I was fooled after he informed me he was experiencing symptoms of a heart attack. Obviously his April Fool's joke was prior to the events of February 29th, 2012. We tend to not joke about the whole heart attack situation anymore, cut legs, however, are completely fair game. Some would go as far as saying my family has a bit of a sick sense of humor. I wouldn't, but some may.

Besides my usual practical joking antics, I've been busy recovering from a week of pure mayhem. Last week three of my cabin crew friends and I went on an eight day backpacking adventure in Thailand. Besides having a few hostels booked, we had very little plans for the trip, including a concrete way to travel from Dubai to Thailand.

Playing the game of chance known as standby, our trip started out with only two seats being available on a non stop flight from Dubai to Thailand, so my friend Paula and I decided that we would stay behind and find another flight, and let the two other girls go on the first flight. After 24 hours, a pit stop in Malaysia, and several glasses of wine, Paula and I finally rolled up to our hostel in Bangkok and met Dom and Sarah. This was my first time staying in a hostel, and I was pleasantly surprised with how great of an experience it was. I mean, how can you not love a place that has a life size elephant's butt as it's front door decoration?


We spent two days in Bangkok, and had an amazing time! We got massages, ate delicious Pad Thai and fresh fruit, drank large quantities of liquid out of sand buckets (completely hygienic), and I even treated myself to a little fried scorpion. I think the liquid in the sand buckets may have influenced my decision to partake in the scorpion eating.

It tasted like burnt popcorn....
 
After Bangkok we decided to start making our way down to Koh Phangan, Thailand in order to make it for infamous Full Moon Party. After much discussion, we ended up taking a short flight to Surat Thani, and from there, a seven hour boat ride to Koh Phangan.
 
 

 
Now, I know what you're thinking, because it's probably what I WAS thinking, "Oh, a night boat, how lovely."

WRONG! Remember the pictures in our third grade history textbooks about the horrible conditions aboard the slave ships in the 1800's? We were actually on that exact ship! The first level of the boat was completely filled with cargo (fruits, vegetables, sugar, etc.), and the top was lined with wall to wall dirty mattress pads, where strangers were smashed together like canned sardines. I was very lucky and ended up sleeping next to a nice and respectful German guy. My friend Dom took one for the team and kept one eye open the entire night as she slept next to a gentleman who was proudly wearing a shirt with the words Me So Horny printed on the front.


After our l-o-n-g journey we finally reached our intended island. We spent our first afternoon jet skiing, soaking up the sun, and doing some much needed napping. That evening we attended the full moon party, an event that happens monthly on the island. Basically, everyone dresses up in ridiculous, fluorescent clothes, paints their bodies with colors as equally as bright as their clothes, and has a ridiculous time on the beach. If this sounds slightly similar to a college frat party, then you would be correct!


After our wild night, we spent our final day on the island relaxing! We took a ferry boat to a nearby secluded island that was absolutely gorgeous. I wonder if anyone would notice if I just moved there?

 I accidentally washed my bikini with a yellow highlighter

All four of  had a blast, but after six days we were out of energy and money, so it was time for the trip to come to a close. We had all vowed to never, ever, under any circumstances, enter a night boat again, so we journeyed back to Bangkok via a seven hour day boat ride, and a seven hour bus ride. We finally reached Bangkok, all with a lovely Pad Thai, alcohol, and body odor aroma, and were elated to find out all four us would be able to make it on a non stop flight from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi. Once we landed in Abu Dhabi, we endured an hour long bus ride back to Dubai, which was a piece of cake compared to some of the other modes of transportation we had endured.
 
It was an awesome trip, but I have never been so happy to see my own bed in all of my life!
 
Hope you all had a happy Easter! I spent the day working a flight to Doha, and once I returned to Dubai, enjoyed a Lebanese dinner with friends. If that doesn't scream traditional Easter, then I don't know what does!
 
Peace and Blessings!
 

1 comment: