Thursday, May 23, 2013

China: Round Two

Do you ever have those moments where you're laying in bed and in reality your alarm is ringing, but in your semi conscious state you're not actually 100% sure if your 6:00 A.M. alarm is going off, or if your second grade teacher won't stop calling your Uncle Paul's cell phone to let him know that you've made the varsity cheerleading squad (yes, that is an actual dream I had)? Well that's the kind of the sleep deprivised state I'm working with right now. It's currently 5:30 P.M. in Dubai, and I'm trying really hard to talk myself into staying up until 8:00...the talk is not going real well.

So this week's sleep depriving culprit? Beijing, China; or as I like to call it, A Repeat Offender!

With my job, I don't actually get to pick my exact schedule, but I can put in preferences about what dates I wish to have off and which destinations I would like to visit.

Although China has been on my must see list for quite sometime, the reason I chose to visit this month in particular was because of my friend Steve.

Halloween 2007
Steve and I met during our sophomore year of college. We were both resident assistants (RAs) in the same building, and quickly became friends. I know all the lame connotations that come with being an RA, but if receiving free room and board is cool, then consider us Miles Davis (Billy Maddison, anyone). Although we've been out of school and living many miles apart during the past three years, we've been able to keep in touch and remain good friends.

Several months ago, Steve informed me that he was planning a trip to Beijing in May to visit his brother Brian, who lives and works in the city as a journalist. Like any sane person would do, I invited myself to join his trip for a day. After six years of friendship you are required to hang out with a person, weather you like them or not, so reluctantly, Steve and Brian spent yesterday with me, and I personally had an awesome time!

Our first stop was the Beijing Zoo, where we specifically visited to see the giant pandas! This was my first encounter with a giant panda, and they definitely won some cuteness points in my heart.



Although the pandas did live up to my cuteness expectations, I was slightly disappointed with their Mandarin to English translating skills. Unless, of course, they did mean 'Lift me up, you will know how weight 1 A.M.' In which case, I stand corrected!


After our morning at the zoo, we grabbed a quick lunch at an Aussie owned meat pie shop, Two Guys And A Pie. I devoured a mushroom and beef briquette pie, with mashed potatoes and gravy on top. This traditional Australian treat was not exactly the meal I was anticipating in China, but Brian recommended it, and it was delish!


After lunch, we wondered through a mall like market that sells everything fake you can imagine, except teeth...and they might even sell those! I may or may not be the proud, new owner of a pair of Ray-Band shades, not to be confused with the ever so popular brand, Ray-Ban!

Decked out in my new specks, we headed to a quainter area of Beijing to see Hutongs, traditional Chinese neighborhoods. Hutongs are made up of very narrow streets, and in this particular area those streets were lined with small shops and boutiques. My coolest find of the day was handmade leather bound journal. Steve not only purchased the journal as a really sweet gift for me, but also wrote me some well wishes on the last page AND stood patiently as I had the shop owner write my name on the first page using Chinese characters. What a good guy!

Hutongs

After our leisurely afternoon, we headed to a lovely Chinese restaurant that is well known for its excellent Peking Duck, a national dish of China. Besides our delicious fried duck, we enjoyed a spicy chicken and noodle dish, syrup covered pineapple, braised eggplant, and sliced cucumbers. We did, however, pass up the Chef's Special #8...friend pigeon with garlic.


Now that Steve and I are 25, have real jobs, and live independently we have mastered maturity. Not once did either of us pick up the split in half duck head and make inappropriate quacking noises. Ok, fine we did! 
Peking Duck
With full bellies and happy hearts, we went our separate ways after dinner. It was a great day, and I am soooooo thrilled times a million that I was able to spend some time with one of my favorite guys! And the fact that I was able to meet his brother and spend the day with him as well, was just Peachy :)


Side note: On the flight from Beijing to Dubai this morning, I started chatting with a fairly tall Canadian/British dude in the galley. We introduced ourselves to one another and during our conversation he ended up mentioning he was involved with professional level volleyball. I asked if he meant professional as in the Olympics, and as he stammered around answering my question, I blurted out, "I'll just Google you."

To which he seemed creeped out by! Well, news flash, I'm creepy! So, naturally, I googled him http://www.teamgb.com/athletes/jason-haldane, AND he was totally in the 2012 Olympics for UK men's volleyball. Not that I'm super into UK men's volleyball, but still a real life Olympian was in my presence.

An important lesson here folks, when in doubt ALWAYS ask for an autograph!

Later Slater!


 

4 comments:

  1. Girl...you crack me up. Love reading about your adventures. Hope you get some rest. love you much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autograph? I would have asked that guy to marry me!

    ReplyDelete