So my Staycation 2013 continues on! This week I traveled to Beirut, Lebanon and Bombay, India, only to turn around and return to Dubai the exact same day. From what I could see out of my 10 inch by 10 inch airplane window, both places looked like lovely destinations!
Thankfully, I've had plenty of company for my days off in Dubai. My friend Paula's parents and niece are visiting this week from Scotland, so it's been fun to join them as they explore Dubai. So far we've enjoyed dinner at the Cheesecake Factory inside the Dubai Mall, hung out at the beach, and celebrated with drinks as we watched the first Scot win Wimbledon in 77 years! Twas a great day to be a Scot..or at least pretending to be one.
 |
| Dubai Mall With The Wilson's |
This past week also contained one of my very favorite holidays, the 4th of July! Back in my tiny hometown, Independence Day has always been a huge celebration, so being anywhere other then White Hall, Illinois on the 4th of July is slightly depressing. Since I couldn't be in the USA for the celebration, I brought the celebration to me! More accurately, the American Business Bureau of Dubai brought the celebration to me.
 |
| Celebrating the 4th of July in Dubai With Fellow Americans |
This super cool event, 4th of July Over Dubai, was held at the Meydan Horse Racing Track, and featured the Whiffenpoofs (Yale University's male choir) singing patriotic songs, an American style barbeque (hot dogs, corn bread, and ice cream cones...check, check, and check), and the local Boy Scouts conducting a flag ceremony.
 |
| Confetti and The Whiffenpoofs |
The grand finally of the evening was an awesome laser and fireworks show! It was so nice to experience a little slice of home during this holiday. There was something super emotional about being thousands of miles away from my home country, and joining together with fellow Americans to celebrate the good ol U.S. of A. My apologies in advance for the super loud, off key, overly patriotic girl who was basically singing right into the microphone. Whoever she may be...
The unfortunate combination of the extreme heat in Dubai and being held as a prisoner against my will in this city for an entire week, I've been forced to officially move my running to the treadmill. This week's long run called for 10 miles AKA 16.1 kilometers. Big thanks to Biggest Loser Season 14, the building maintenance man who every so graciously propped the gym door open in order to produce some air flow, and Gu Energy Gel for getting me through 1 hour, 46 minutes, and 21 seconds of running!
 |
| Treadmill With A View |
"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle." -George William Curtis
Have a great week, everyone!
Great job on staying on the dreadmill for so long. I'm pretty sure that I'd be trying to jump out of those windows in front of you after an hour or so. At what point during your 10 miles did you take your Gu? I have a 10 miler coming up, but I've never taken anything during my run.
ReplyDeleteLove your blog!
-Emily at BeautyandtheGreek.blogspot.com
I usually run 10 min. miles, so I took a Gu at 50 minutes, my typical half way point. However, I'm not super comfortable with running on treadmills, so my time was way off. Good luck with your 10 miles!
ReplyDeleteHave you tried Clif shot bloks? I took them during my first half and they're pretty amazing. I trained for my entire race on the treadmill so I feel your pain, good luck though! So jealous of how much of the world you're seeing, I creepily found your blog through skinny runner and love it!
ReplyDeleteKelly (runnininscrub.wordpress.com)
Thanks! Nope, never tried the Shot Bloks. I'll have to pick some up the next time I'm in the States!
ReplyDeleteI fully endorse the strawberry ones, they're amazing!
DeleteAlso I'm a crackhead and can't type my blog apparently- runnininscrubs.wordpress.com