Monday, April 11, 2011

Free Flight Fun

April 4th, 2011 was a very monumental day in my life. April 4th not only marked my three month anniversary with the airline, but it just so happened to also be the day my free flight benefits kicked in. Insert sound of the Heavenly gates opening and angels singing here.

I was working on the day the free flights kicked in, so unfortunately I wasn't able to start my personal traveling immediately, but I was definitely getting the itch to do so. Friday morning I left bright and early, actually it was more like dark and early, and worked a flight that made stops in Orlando, Atlantic City, and Boston. Friday night as I was preparing for bed I was mentally going over the next day. I'll get up and go to Ft. Lauderdale, San Salvador, Bahamas, back to Ft. Lauderdale, and then I'll have the evening and the entire next day off. Which is great because I need to go grocery shopping, do laundry....or I could go out with Kristen in St. Louis. I haven't quite decided if my impulsiveness is a downfall or strength of mine, but either way it makes for a very interesting life. So without giving it much thought, I called Southwest Airlines and booked a flight into St. Louis the next day. Thankfully there were plenty of open seats on the flight and I was able to make it on with no problem.

Kristen, being the best good friend she is, was inside the airport to pick me up just as soon as my plane landed. I wish I could share with you that I traveled across the country to tour museums, go hiking, site see, etc, but I would be lying. My trip consisted of going out to the college bars in Edwardsville, getting breakfast at 2:00 A.M., singing along while watching Hairspray, napping, and ordering Jimmy Johns all with one of my best friends. All in all I would consider this a worthwhile trip.

Yesterday I headed back to the airport around 5 to catch my flight home. I wasn't too worried about getting a seat as the gate agent I had spoken with the day before said there were three available seats. People wouldn't really wait until the day before to book a flight, so I just assumed I was in the clear. Then I got to the ticket counter and was informed the flight was oversold by one. Well, crap. So I sat at the airport for an hour with my fingers, knees, and toes crossed that maybe just maybe two people wouldn't show up. I never want to wish harm on anyone, but if someone on there way to the airport could just get a little flat tire it would be really helpful! Thankfully, just as the boarding process was starting my alias, Kelsey SchuLtz, was announced over the loudspeaker requesting I come to the ticket counter. Glory be, hallelujah, my prayers were answered and I got on the flight.

Now I'm aware that beggars can't be choosers, but I was the LAST person on the plane and therefore was treated to the LAST open seat. As soon as I sat down it was obvious why it was the last seat available. The seat was an aisle seat in the very last row, no big deal I'm used to sitting in the back of the plane. However, I was seated next to a husband and wife who were both, how do I put this, of large stature. Thankfully I don't take up much space so it wasn't a huge issue, but none the less slightly annoying. What I did find amusing though was halfway through the flight the woman in the row in front of us slightly reclined her chair. Apparently this was very irritating to the large husband as the seat was now in his personal space. He let out a very loud huff and whispered not so quietly to his wife, "Jesus Christ is this guy serious? Some people are just so rude." Never mind me sitting on half of my seat over here. Self awareness, some people got it, some people don't.

Despite the whole almost getting stranded in St. Louis and then having to share my seat thing, my first non revenue trip was in fact a success! Now the question is, where to next?

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

1 comment: