Sunday, April 3, 2011

All Good Things Must Come To An End

So between my scheduled days off and not getting called while being on reserve, I physically went to work ONE day out of the past 13. It was awesome, I was basically getting paid for a two week vacation. My on call period is from midnight to 10:00 A.M. Each day that I was not called by 10:00 in the morning, I took it upon myself to go out and enjoy beautiful South Florida. I'm pleased to announce swimming suit tan lines are back in action! So this past week of "work" involved lots of time at the beach, movies and dinners with friends, and shopping for the condo. I love this job!

This past week also included my 2nd-only-to-Christmas favorite holiday....April Fool's Day. I don't think people embrace this holiday enough, and would personally like to see it get the recognition it deserves and be made into a national holiday. Not wanting to waste a second of precious time, at approximately 0001 on the holiday I emerged from my room with a piece of thread hanging off my sweater. Obviously this was the classic April Fools Day string that was attached to an entire spool of thread being hidden inside my sweater. This prank would have gone off a lot better if I hadn't have had to spend so much time convincing Steph to continue pulling on the string and not cut it with the scissors she had in her hand. It was a lame prank, but it's a personal must do for each April Fools. Next we joined forces and called several of each others friends claiming the other had "met a guy on a flight and went out for dinner, but should have returned hours ago, have you heard from (Steph, Kelsey)?" Of course, right before the concerned friend would offer to contact the police we'd join together for a unison APRIL FOOLS! Sometimes it was followed by laughs, sometimes not. Like all of my April Fools pranks, I had several hits and misses, but I'm a firm believer it's worth every miss, just to get that hit! The next morning I was woken up way too early by a call from Allison's mom, Jackie. I answered the phone and she frantically started babbling on about Allison being in the hospital. I quickly interrupted and informed her that I found it really ironic this horrible accident had happened on April Fool's Day. She is still a little bitter about a prank at her expense that occurred on that day four years ago. Unfortunately for her she is dealing with a professional here and will never be able to get even. Since I was up so early I figured I might as well call each one of my family members to let them know that I had decided to fly home for the day and ask if they could pick me up in St. Louis that afternoon. Each of them were so sweet, offering to set aside their own plans for the day to come pick me up. It almost broke my heart having to bust out "well make sure you leave plenty early, as I'm sure the traffic will be really bad with it being April Fools Day." I think I was most touched by my sister in law, Jackie, only hesitating briefly before agreeing to come pick me up. She later told me that she had a massage scheduled for that afternoon that she had been looking forward to for three weeks, but was going to skip it for me. That is love.

On Friday night my two week vacation came to a screeching halt when crew scheduling called to inform me I had been assigned to a four day trip that began at 6:00 A.M. the next morning. As nice as not working has been, I was kind of getting the itch to go some where, so the trip was welcomed. However, the 6:00 A.M. show time was not! At present time by body is way confused. My arse is currently burnt from laying out by the pool in Tampa yesterday, and my feet are numb from these sub zero temperatures and freezing rain in Detroit. On the bright side, my knees seem to be getting the best of both worlds and are at the perfect temperature!

In other exciting news, I found out this week that I am going to be an auntie to a nephew this time! With just having the two little girls around for so long, this boy business may take some getting used to. Based on my babysitting experiences, boys enjoy not showering, farting, fart noises, jokes about farts, picking their nose....ok so this little guy and I may have more to bond over than I thought. :)

Have a great week everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Kelsey, Thanks for mentioning me in your blog. So who in your family is going to have a baby? I have no idea how you come up with things to write but I sure do enjoy reading it. take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Slap Jack, and my sister Genny is having the bambeano. Come on that was so two posts ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes....I think you and little Kenneth John may have much more in "common " than you ever thought! Love you!

    ReplyDelete