Monday, July 25, 2011

Sum sum summa time

So this month I have been working pretty much all red eye flights. I actually don't mind the schedule since I am a true night owl at heart. One of the only downfalls to this month's schedule is that I have very few overnight trips. However, I managed to make up for it by having a great time on my one layover of the month in Boston.

I'm on line with my friend Maria this month, which makes trips 100 times more fun then getting stuck with a senior flight attendant who routinely eats a bitter sandwich for breakfast every morning, and probably should have retired about five years ago. Last week we spent a full 30 hours in Boston, which is such an awesome city with tons of things to do and see. We started our morning by hopping on the subway and heading down to the Quincy Market. For being a born and raised country girl, I'm quite proud of myself for learning how to maneuver around on the subway in so many different cities! There were so many food choices there, it was hard to pick just one place to eat. Sticking to my true classy form, I took Maria to Dick's Last Resort...the restaurant where you pay to be insulted and eat mediocre food. There is actually a Dick's Last Resort in Chicago that I have already been to several times, but I'm always highly entertained by this restaurant and continue to come back. The restaurant is famous for making dunce caps out of white paper and writing insults on them. As we sat down I was reading the hats of some of the other patrons and was amused by one little girl's hat that read "I eat my boogers." I also enjoyed another women's hat that read, "Yes, this is a padded bra." I wasn't quite as amused though when our waiter came to our table and awarded me a hat that read, "I'm not as hott as I think I am." Rude. We then spent the afternoon watching some really talented (and some really strange) street performers. The weather in Boston was fabulous, and it was a nice change to be outside for an entire afternoon without feeling like I just took a shower, fully clothed.

Because my family does things slightly unorthodox at times, my brother Chad and sister in law Stacy ended up buying a car last week in a town that is just about 20 minutes away from me. In order to pick the car up, Stacy flew down to Fort Lauderdale and was able to spend a couple of days with me before driving the car back to Illinois. I still had to work during the nights, so I think we actually only spent a grand total of about 12 waking hours together. I was still pretty impressed we were able to cram in a day at the beach, lunch at Rattlesnake Jake's (once again, do I know how to pick a classy joint or what?), and of course frozen yogurt at Orange Leaf. I also made her earn her keep by taking out our trash, airing up my bike tires, and fixing my computer. It was a very short impromptu visit, but I always love getting to spend time with my family!

I usually try to pick up during my days off if I know I'm just going to spend my days being lazy at home, but this past week I decided to take a little staycation for three days. It was so nice to sleep, clean my apartment, lay out, and hang out with friends. Ahhh, I'm relaxed just remembering those three days!

Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment