Thursday, August 4, 2011

NYC to LA

I started off my week with a two day trip, laying over in New York. I do love New York layovers because there is so much to do in the city, however the hotel we stay in is slightly sketchy. Not only is it in a creepy location (right by a rundown subway stop in Queens), it's also spiritually creepy. According to some of my fellow flight attendants the hotel is haunted. I'm not exactly a ghost expert, and am not even sure if I by into the whole ghost thing. My best good friend Jenny swears there are three things on this Earth that you just don't mess with: spiders, tornadoes, and ghosts. I've taken her words of wisdom to heart, and call me a baby, but try my hardest to avoid New York layovers. Since I didn't know anyone else on the trip, I knew I would be forced to spend the night in my hotel room alone. So I did what anyone in my situation would do; I went out with my crew, drank a few vodka pineapples, walked back to my hotel room at 4:00 A.M., and slept soundly in my bed.... curled up next to my Bible!

Tuesday evening I left for a two day trip to Los Angeles. This was actually my first time being on a layover in L.A. and I LOVED it! During my April visit to L.A. my friends and I did a lot of touristy stuff, but never actually made it to the ocean, so yesterday was my first time seeing the Pacific! The water was WAY colder than the water in south Florida, but the Pacific beaches were much wider and prettier! The waves in the Pacific were also much bigger! One of the flight attendants I was with is very familiar with the area, and offered to show me around for the day. We ended up walking about two miles from our hotel to the ocean and renting bikes. There is an awesome bike path that runs the entire way from Manhattan Beach (where we started) and Santa Monica Pier. We biked all the way to Santa Monica and back, which was a 26 mile round trip! AKA I biked a marathon yesterday! I was totally in my happy place the entire time! We rode through Venice Beach, which was very hippy ish, but none the less pretty cool. We also saw Muscle Beach, where there is literally an outdoor gym for people to work out on the beach. It basically seemed like a playground for meat heads, but hey, to each there own. The culture in California is so much different than Florida. It's much more environmentally conscience, and overall just more chill and relaxed. The temperature in L.A. is also much more milder than South Florida, so me being the really intelligent person I am, didn't factor in the whole the sun is still out, I may need sunscreen thing. Walking through the airport was a wee bit embarrassing last night as people were literally turning there heads to stare at me. Upon walking onto the aircraft the captain, being ever so tactful, greeted me with a, "What the hell happened to you?!" Needless to say, I'm trying to only partake in inside activities today that require me to show no emotion, as it is PAINFUL to move my face!




On a different note, I've been reading the book My Year With Eleanor. Basically, this book is about the author's year of trying to live a year based on Eleanor Roosevelt's quote, "Do one thing everyday that scares you." I would only give the book an ok rating, however I have learned a lot about Eleanor Roosevelt. What a cool lady!

"The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear, for newer and richer experiences." -Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment