Marhaba from Dubai!
I LOVE technology! Althought I'm living on the other side of the world from my family and friends, it really doesn't feel like that. I've been able to use facebook, skype, whatapp, and ping to communicate with everyone, otherwise I'd probably be a lot more on the sad ship side! Since I have been able to communicate with so many of you I forget who I've told what to, so I'm going to try to create a condenzed virtion on here. Wish me luck!
Getting To Dubai...
Things could not have gone smoother. Saying goodbye to everyone sucked, but that was to be expected. However, after that was over, it was smooth sailing, errrr flying. I rode over to Dubai from JFK on one of the airbus plans. Naturally all of the flight attendants looked gorgeous and were very friendly and welcoming to all of the passengers boarding. My seat was equipped with a screen that allowed me to watch movies (fo free). The screen also was able to show images from a camera in the front of the plane, as well as below the aircraft. It made for a very cool take off and landing. The screen also allowed me to track our flight progress, so it was way cool to see how far along we were getting throughout the 12 hours.
Arrival...
Again, everything went very smoothly with getting picked up from the airport. A group of about ten new recruits all had flights that arrived around the same time, so all ten of us went through the customs and immigration process together and were then bussed to our accomindations.
The City...
Dubai is beautiful! It is full of skyscrapers, and in all reality reminds me a lot of New York or Chicago, except much newer and cleaner. I've been out walking at night twice (with other girls of course) and felt very safe both times.
My Apartment...
I've been told I lucked out on the apartment front, as 21st Century tower seems to be the coveted complex. It is very new, and is located right downtown! I have a great view of the ocean from my bedroom window, LOVE! There is a small workout room on the top floor (53rd) and a pool on the roof. My two roommates seem very nice. One is a girl named C from China, the other is a girl named Yifiker from Ethiopia. The apartment is furnished, and I was provided a starter kit consisting of towels, linens, pots, pans, silver ware, plates, etc. that is all mine to keep. The brand of my silver is called "Genny." How cool is that?!
Training...
Training started yesterday, but so far it has just been big lecture sessions welcoming us to the company, receiving our shirts and manuals, and learning about our medical benefits. Our actual tough training doesnt start until next week.
Other New Recruits...
Two words, Barbie Fest. I'm not a fan of low self esteem, and am not being arrogant, just confident is saying that I think I'm a beautiful girl. However, I definitly feel like the fat girl of the bunch! Seriously, never in my life have I ever been surrounded by so many young, beautiful people. All together there are about 100 new flight attendants that are in my class, but out of the large group we've all been broken down into batches of about 14. Out of the 100 there are only three Americans. Everyone seems nice so far, but I do remember the good ol days of college, and perhaps I just spent one two many years living in the dorms, but I give it approximently one week untill the honeymoon stage dies down and the gloves come out. So far, the two girls I seem to be clicking with best are both from the UK, one from Ireland and the other one from England.
Other Random Comments...
I really didn't think about the whole converter situation too much. I have a couple of adapters, but none seem to be working too well. I had to borrow a friends cord to turn my computer on, so I need to do some researching in that department. I'm still not completely pulled together with the time difference. I've been waking up at 4 A.M. wide awake the past two mornings, fun times! As far as food, I went to a small super market two days ago and just bought a few basic things (soups, oranges, yogurt), and have been pretty much living off of that. I have gone out to eat twice. Perhaps you have heard of these famous middle eastern restauraunts...Subway and Tony Roma's??? Original, I know! I think there is an issue with my water heater, as I've taken two cold showers, no fun!
My love to all of you!!!!
You are good at being yourself. I pray you make some great friends. Really enjoy reading your updates! Love you.
ReplyDelete