Monday, February 18, 2013

13.1 Thoughts

Someone que the Chariots of Fire soundtrack because this girl is officially a half marathoner! With no further ado, I present to you my 13.1 thoughts on the matter.

1- Dr. Scholl's Blister Protector, you saved my life and for that I will be eternally greatful.

2- I think God has a sense of humor. How else would you explain Outkast's song Bombs Over Baghdad coming up on my iPod just as I was running past a group of men dressed in traditional Arab attire? I specifally chuckeled when the lyrics "Bob your head, rag top," started blaring in my ear.

3- More people should dress up in costume to run races. A special shout out to Fred Flinstone who provided me with some much needed comic releif as he sprinted by me at mile 8.

4- Rock and Roll Half Marathons have entertainment in the form of crazy bands at every mile of the course. But who needs cool bands when you have creepy Indian men, complete with their video recording cell phones, to cheer us all on! And by us, I mean only the girls.

5- I cheated. I walked for approximently 11 minutes of the race. Following the Jeff Galoway run/walk method, I rotated between running for 4 minutes and 30 seconds and walking for 30 seconds. I was able to consistantly stay with the group who was also running about a 9:45 mile. I'm a big advocate of walk breaks!


6- Saucony Hurricane 14's...it's been real yo. Asics Gel Kayano's...I'm sorry I ever strayed!


7-  In my humble opinion, the invention of Body Glide, was far more genius than anything Bill Whatchamacallit or McSomething Jobs ever created!

8- I'm fairly certain the Kenyans completed the entire race before I got to mile one.

9- In the words of Forest Gump, "I just felt like running!"

10- My very carefully calculated and planned race day diet consisted of one sourdough roll, a spinach omelet inside a wrap, two original glazed Krispy Kreme donuts, a bag of Skittles, one slice of carrot cake, and an entire pepporoni and mushroom pizza courtasy of my beloved 800-PIZZA. Being able to eat all of this and know that I'll actually burn it all off tomorrow is the real reason I love running!


11- The night before the race, I was trying to be all deep and write my favorite scripture "Isaiah 41:10" on the bottom of my shoe. I wrote it on one shoe, only to discover that I had written it backwards. So I reattempted on shoe number two....and spelled it wrong. 

12-Technology is cool, but my family is even cooler! They were able to see me cross the finish line from thousands of miles away by watching the live web cam!

13- I didn't know another single soul at the race. Regardless, I did a victory dance at the finish line. Despite the warm temperatures, I was apparently a little chilly on the right side...

 
 
13.1- Check out the bling, baby! And the extreme red face syndrome I'm working with.
 
Official Chip Time 2:05:02
 

 
 

3 comments:

  1. Wa-hoo!!!! Put that one in the history books. Well done! Love your true confessions about what you ate & what you wrote on your shoes. :-) Humor is a great thing. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very proud of you Kelsey, What an accomplishment you have reached!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelsey, you don't know me but I'm one of the random creepers who lurk 'round these here parts. I typed up a semi-stalkerish comment about how I'm so glad I found your blog before I move out to Dubai in mid-August, which was thankfully deleted before I hit "publish" (although I realize this one isn't any better). Anyway, I hope I get to work a flight with you in the future because holy shiz, you rock.

    ReplyDelete