Greetings from the Middle East! Currently taking place outside of my apartment is the world's loudest and longest call to prayer. Everything being broadcasted from the loudspeakers on top of my local mosque is said in Arabic, so I have no idea what this man with a horrible voice is even saying, but I'd be completely ok if he stopped....any....minute...now!
This morning I arrived home after working a six day trip to Brisbane, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand. I purposely chose to do this trip, as I have a list of places I want to visit before I throw in the Emirates towel, and New Zealand was definitely one of those places.
I also have an entire wall in my bedroom covered with Post Its that has my bucket list items scribbled down on them. The words, 'Bungee Jump' has been written on one such post it for over a year now. Always a fan of killing two birds with one stone (figuratively speaking here, people), I jumped on, rather off, this opportunity! After sharing my intentions for this trip with my sister in law, Stacy, she informed me that she isn't quite sure if I'm just a dare devil or have a sick death wish. Considering I'm a fairly happy go lucky kinda gal, I'm going to go with the first one!
Prior to this trip, I was completely ok with this whole notion of bungee jumping. I was even ok once I arrived at the bungee jumping office, and was signing my life away while being surrounded with bungee jumping memorabilia.
It wasn't until I was walking across the bridge that I remembered just how afraid of heights I really am. It's not even the height that bothers me, as I do spend a signifigant amount of time high above the ground, it's more so the falling from heights that I'm concerned with...with was precisely what I had signed up for!
Much like the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb, I walked across the bridge wearing a harness and safety cables that attached me to the bridge at all times. Even as I was walking out over the water, I could feel my palms beginning to sweat, a classic Kelsey's Getting Really Nervous symptom.
Once I reached the jump pad, I was greeted by two punk tastic looking lads, who introduced themselves to me as Layton and Layton, the gentlemen who would be responsible for my safety as I hurled my body head first off the bridge. Cool.
The entire process was actually very quick, which was great because I'm fairly certain if I had been given five more minutes to think, I would have talked myself out of this idiotic idea. Layton, not to be confused with the other Layton, quickly secured several bungee cords onto my harness, as well as weights and cords to my ankles. As casually and calmly as giving a stranger directions to the local grocery story, Layton instructed me to walk to the edge, stick my toes slightly over the edge, pause and smile for the camera, and jump!
With a 3-2-1 countdown, I sent my body flying off the bridge. I consider myself to be a bit of an extremeness, and I would hands down say this was THE SCARIEST thing I've ever done in my life! The only thing I can even slightly compare it to is dreams I've had where I've fallen off of something, but I usually jolt awake quickly. With bungee jumping, I didn't wake up, I just kept falling, until I finally reached the full length of the rope and bounced up and down a few times. Unlike skydiving, there really wasn't much a grace period to enjoy. It was just crazy falling! I'm getting all sweaty just thinking about it again!
While I was bobbing over the water, I had to pull a yellow rip cord in order to release my feet. Having a past that involves putting diesel in the gas tank, laundry detergent in the dishwasher, showing up for work on days I don't actually work, etc., I think it's safe to say I don't always follow directions properly. Bearing this in mind, I said a little prayer that I was pulling the right strap, and tugged away, thankfully pulling the proper cord that released my feet and NOT my entire body!
As soon as I was pulled onto the safety of the platform, with my body quivering so badly that I could hardly stand, I declared that I would never do that again (there's even video proof of that). Now that I am three days post jump, I keep watching the video and critiquing myself and thinking of the different ways I should have jumped. I'm not going to beat myself up too badly, it was only my first jump and there's always next time.... ;)
Have a fantastic week everyone!
This morning I arrived home after working a six day trip to Brisbane, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand. I purposely chose to do this trip, as I have a list of places I want to visit before I throw in the Emirates towel, and New Zealand was definitely one of those places.
I also have an entire wall in my bedroom covered with Post Its that has my bucket list items scribbled down on them. The words, 'Bungee Jump' has been written on one such post it for over a year now. Always a fan of killing two birds with one stone (figuratively speaking here, people), I jumped on, rather off, this opportunity! After sharing my intentions for this trip with my sister in law, Stacy, she informed me that she isn't quite sure if I'm just a dare devil or have a sick death wish. Considering I'm a fairly happy go lucky kinda gal, I'm going to go with the first one!
Prior to this trip, I was completely ok with this whole notion of bungee jumping. I was even ok once I arrived at the bungee jumping office, and was signing my life away while being surrounded with bungee jumping memorabilia.
It wasn't until I was walking across the bridge that I remembered just how afraid of heights I really am. It's not even the height that bothers me, as I do spend a signifigant amount of time high above the ground, it's more so the falling from heights that I'm concerned with...with was precisely what I had signed up for!
Much like the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb, I walked across the bridge wearing a harness and safety cables that attached me to the bridge at all times. Even as I was walking out over the water, I could feel my palms beginning to sweat, a classic Kelsey's Getting Really Nervous symptom.
Once I reached the jump pad, I was greeted by two punk tastic looking lads, who introduced themselves to me as Layton and Layton, the gentlemen who would be responsible for my safety as I hurled my body head first off the bridge. Cool.
The entire process was actually very quick, which was great because I'm fairly certain if I had been given five more minutes to think, I would have talked myself out of this idiotic idea. Layton, not to be confused with the other Layton, quickly secured several bungee cords onto my harness, as well as weights and cords to my ankles. As casually and calmly as giving a stranger directions to the local grocery story, Layton instructed me to walk to the edge, stick my toes slightly over the edge, pause and smile for the camera, and jump!
With a 3-2-1 countdown, I sent my body flying off the bridge. I consider myself to be a bit of an extremeness, and I would hands down say this was THE SCARIEST thing I've ever done in my life! The only thing I can even slightly compare it to is dreams I've had where I've fallen off of something, but I usually jolt awake quickly. With bungee jumping, I didn't wake up, I just kept falling, until I finally reached the full length of the rope and bounced up and down a few times. Unlike skydiving, there really wasn't much a grace period to enjoy. It was just crazy falling! I'm getting all sweaty just thinking about it again!
![]() |
| You might have to zoom in, but it's me, I promise! |
As soon as I was pulled onto the safety of the platform, with my body quivering so badly that I could hardly stand, I declared that I would never do that again (there's even video proof of that). Now that I am three days post jump, I keep watching the video and critiquing myself and thinking of the different ways I should have jumped. I'm not going to beat myself up too badly, it was only my first jump and there's always next time.... ;)
Have a fantastic week everyone!



Dear God, Kelsey. We DO want you to come home!
ReplyDeleteCame across your blog from Skinny Runner. 1. you are hilarious 2. you are crazy. I love it!
ReplyDeleteWell hi there Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteI came across your blog on Skinny Runner's blog.
I'm from Sydney, Australia and I also love to run long distances. Although I can tell you that my life isn't half as interesting as yours is.
:-)
Wow you are so brave! Bungee jumping and sky diving are two things that I want to do someday, but if I think about it too much, I'd talk myself out of it. I don't think "fun" is the right word, but I hope you had a thrilling experience!
ReplyDeleteHey Kelsey! Saw your blog on skinny runners! I am also a runner from the Midwest and will (hopefully) be doing the Chicago Rock and roll half this summer! Hope your training goes well and have fun :)
ReplyDeleteHey Kelsey! I found your blog via Skinny Runner! Love your writing style, and can't believe everywhere you've been!! I'm from, and am still in Central Illinois (Champaign to be exact), can wait to live through your adventures from here in the corn fields!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm a Finn from Finland and found your blog via Skinny Runner. Love your self irony ;oD
ReplyDeleteI too found you from SR. I look forward to following all your adventures. Sounds like you have a pretty amazing life! :)
ReplyDeleteAnother who found you through Skinny Runner :) I've read several of your posts now and have really enjoyed reading about your adventures! I already told my husband that if he dies or leaves me... I want to do what you're doing :) thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWow. Totally found you through SR. Obsessed.
ReplyDeleteI'm American, live in NYC. My parents and sister live in Dubai (and have for the past 4 years). That city is one of the craziest places ever and even though its taken a while to grow on me, it has a special place in my heart. I probably go back 2-3x a year? Traveling in the M.E and living there (in 2010) has definitely opened my eyes on so many things about arab culture! Also, I can't believe you run outside there (traffic, boring routes and hello...HEAT!). Way to go on the RAK half, I've wanted to do it but because I teach I can never get the time off.
I love your blog. Your story is so awesome. Keep up the great work! I'm moving to Singapore in July to teach but now I'm wondering if I should hit up Emirates for something wild and unusual. What a life!! Also, you have an awesome writer's voice. I'm heavy on literacy in my classroom and it is so refreshing to see someone who has a funky outlook on life and writes with such flair!! Keep up the fab work. :)
Thanks for all the sweet compliments! Always fun to have new readers! Special shout out to all the fellow corn fieldians out there! =)
ReplyDeleteI read SR everyday and was so intrigued by your blog concept that I've now added you to my (small and selective!) list of daily reads! I've always wanted to travel internationally but haven't made the leap! I had the opportunity to study abroad in college but 'didn't want to leave my boyfriend' - so lame; good thing I'm not with that guy anymore! My best friend is potentially moving to London for her husband's job so that will finally give me the push to put a stamp on my passport. Anyways, I love your writing and adventures and look forward to more reading! - Amanda
ReplyDelete