Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Affects of My Effect

I'm still reporting live from Fort Lauderdale this week, which does in fact mean that I'm still in training. Flight Attendant training is like nothing I've ever experienced before. I seriously feel like I'm on a reality show. We all live together, and basically spend every minute of the day together. There is extreme pressure to do well , the slightest mistake on an exam could mean game over. There's drama, and there is a little bit of competitiveness stirred in there, as well. I should actually contact ABC right away!

Last week was REALLY tough. We had an exam every single day! I thankfully passed all of them, and lived to tell about it. Keep in mind passing is considered a 90% or higher. The C's get degrees logic does not apply here! Unfortunitly, our group of 16 shrunk down to 15 this week.

The upside of this very drab week of studying was yesterday when I went on a familiarization flight to New York City. I have actually never been to New York, so I was pretty pumped about it. I was really able to take in and enjoy the rich culture, the diversity of the city, and the sights and sounds of the Big Apple. Ok, ok in reality i was on the ground for all of 30 minutes and never actually left the plane. For all I know, we actually could have been in Chicago! Thirty minutes was just long enough for me to see gray sky, piles of dirty snow, and people walking around in parkas. I was more than ok with being shipped promptly back to 75 degrees, sunshine, and palm trees!

The flight attendants went out of their way to be kind and helpful to us newbies. There were three of us trainees on the flight, and we helped with the boarding and deplaning process, assisted with the snack and beverage service, and then were able to hang out in the gallies during the majority of the flight. It was really cool to be able to actually see everything we have been learning in class played out.

Another really cool part about this week was having a Federal Air Marshall talk to our class. It was really really interesting to learn about what they do, and how much 9/11 has not only affected aviation, but also the world. He also informed our class of TSA's new motto now that they have begun using full body scanners...You can't see London, you can't see France, until we see your underpants. Out of his entire talk, that was the one line I walked away remembering. My maturity level amazes me.

Side note: What the bleep is the difference between AFFECTED and EFFECTED???? Everytime I go to write the stupid word I have to google what the difference is. To be honest, even after reading the explanation of the two words, I usually just end up guessing. Why are we making this complicated people?! Let's abolish the word affected. Who's with me???

A little shout out to all my friends headed back to school this week! You're all smart little cookies! Stay positived, enjoy where you are, and it will be May before you know it!

Have an awesome week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment