Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ten Thoughts

1) I got my hair cut yesterday. Nothing special, just your basic trim. I even had respectfully declined when the stylist asked if I wanted her to blow try it, in order to save a couple bucks. The price of this bad boy...FORTY EIGHT DOLLARS. Holy flipping expensive. To top it off, she cut it too short!

2) I'm really digging this new band called The XX. Check them out.

3) I checked my new apartment yesterday, and I LOVE it! I'm living with a girl that I'm going through training with. Her aunt and uncle own the condo and are renting it to us at a very affordable price. They're even letting me pick the wall color for my bedroom! It's in a really nice area that is about 25 minutes from the airport and ten minutes from the ocean. It has a huge balcony, and high ceilings! If this isn't reason enough to come visit me, then I don't know what is!

4) I played the piano (well keyboard, to be exact) for the first time yesterday since September. My friend even had a United Methodist Hymnal that I was playing out of. I played and my friend sang the lyrics in German. I smell a label in the making.

5) I failed my first test of training this past week, but thankfully was able to pass on my second attempt. Of all things to fail, it was the skill check on fire fighting.

6) I had to move hotel rooms yesterday. There was mildew in the room, and the smell was foul. The best way I can describe the smell would be a combination of a fart and sweaty football pads. Yum.

7) This week in training we had to practice our evacuation techniques. As rediculous as it sounds I was terrified of going down the huge blow up slide that comes out an airplane door in an emergency. Something about going down a slide and at the bottom seeing the white of your thumb bone, kinda puts a dark cloud over every other slide experience for the rest of your life!

8) Hummus, tastes good, good for you.

9) I am NOT a person who enjoys cold temperatures. This week my class had to practice our survival skills in the water. Even though it was sunny and 70 out, it was still too cold for this girl to be in the water. We had to practice climbing from the water into a life raft and erect a canopy, all while it was "raining" (aka our instructors were spraying us with hoses). Burrrrr

10) So far, so good as far as training is going. I've passed all of my tests, thus far. Tomorrow is our final exam, so the remainder of my day will be spent in study mode. I also get my uniform tomorrow. Yay!!! As long as I pass tomorrow, I will pretty much be in the clear as far as training goes. Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday I will be working a flight, and an instructor will be with me to make sure I'm doing all my tasks properly. Friday, God willing, I will graduate!!! Then, I have four days off which I plan to spend laying out in South Beach and snorkling in the Keys!

1 comment: